MY COOKING STYLE WITHOUT GAS FOR PAST ONE MONTH
Our life was completely different before 6 months. I am a mom of 2 kids , I have to send lunch for 3 of them In the morning , so I usually wake up at 6 and start making the breakfast I was already arranged, I usually cook in my gas stove .
Probably I'll be preparing the meal in 1 hour. 1 month before my gas cylinder was over and as you all know , I'm not an exceptional we couldn't get a new cylinder.
Me and my husband are having migraine for the smell of kerosene , so we didn't go for kerosene stove . Kerosene also unavailable at that time.
We were thinking of another option now, and finally we decided to buy a clay stove (Dara Lipa)
We bought woods , too. My husband helped me light the fire until I finish cooking.
I used clay pots to cook , and it will be easy to clean too.
I was so angry and frustrated , at first because of the heat,smoke and difficulty caused by the politicians . I thought , Ill not be able to continue this .
But it was so fun and not that difficult as I thought.
We usually lit the Clay stove at night , to make everything and store in the fridge for the next day .
Only on Sundays we make lunch in the same day.
I prepare and keep everything ready before we light up the fire after my hubby comes home after 5pm.
We make meat for 2 times in one pot , vegetables for next day lunch , the dinner and next morning breakfast.
If I'm making chicken curry I keep every spices and needy things ready.
Because we cannot dim or off the fire as we wish like in gas stove .
When husband light up the fire , I start cooking one by one . The vegetables at first and then meat as the meat gets bit more time to cook .
I make the fillings for next day's breakfast also at the same time.
I store everything in the refrigerator for next day . As I don't have gas stove even to heat the meals , I use Rice cooker to make string hoppers, pittu , steam chick pea, Milk Rice , to heat the gravy. And sometimes in the oven.( I don't recommend microwave)
Using mud clay stove remind me the olden days of our child hood. Never thought we will be cooking in this again. It's a great experience for all of us who didn't bother about our mothers who had a time with that.
For Dinner you can try making Pol Rotti and katta sambol, it tastes heaven with smoky flavour. Also try to make BBQ , I tried making hoppers too and it came out really well.
As I'm making the next day's meal at once I have loads of free time the next day, so I try to make that time for something meaningful without waste.
Don't stress yourself for what you don't have, try to make and enjoy your life with what you have .
Just because we keep blaming the politicians , they will never gonna buy us or give us what we lost . Let's live our precious life with what we got . Let's not put our kids too in a difficult situation by always complaining.
You can fry , steam and make anything your kids ask . They gonna enjoy this too . A small open place would be enough for this
.
Enjoy the typical taste of srilankan cuisine. Enjoy the life with what you got.











Comments