How to grow cilantro /coriander at home?




 Many people have this doubt that how to grow cilantro or coriander at home .I'm not here to say a lot about the origin and all about coriander plant.  But I'll tell you how I grew this bushy coriander in a pot just without any fertilizers .

Me and my hubby are very much love in coriander, he asks me to add some chopped coriander for every spicy dish I make . Coriander gives a nice aroma to any spicy dish you make and tastes Amazing.

I went to Qatar in 2014 with my little boy and had 0% knowledge about cooking, my poor hubby was too patient with me ,then I learnt a lot from the internet and today I'm capable of cooking almost anything thanks to the YouTube.

When ever I go to super market I never forgets to buy coriander in vegetable section. I used to add coriander to chicken , lamb , fish and even to lentils.


Most of the Indian dishes they add coriander, it's a must ingredient for the Biriyani, I make biriyani every Fridays as it was my hubby's weekends, so I must keep coriander everyday , I feel like 'oh I can't cook today because I have no coriander at home ' sounds funny huh !

You can use it either raw or cooked.

Uses of coriander plants

  • You can use coriander/cilantro for the meat dishes you make ,it gives a very nice aroma.
  • You can use this for garnishing, on the ghee rice you made ,on top of lentil curries, salads.
  • You can finely chop coriander and add in the pasta or macaroni you make .
  • It's a must ingredient for biriyani.
  • You can use it on the garlic bread.
  • Also you can mix with pita breads.

  • For shawarma also you can chopped some coriander and add it will give the meal a fantastic flavor.

So when I flew down to Srilanka again ,still I couldn't cook without coriander. So I buy coriander leaves when ever I go to super market. Later I realized that it's bit expensive in Srilanka and thought of plant it in my house and see .I just wanted to give a try .

When I first plant I had no idea how the plant look like . I got some coriander seeds from my mother and I just put 5 or 6 seeds in a pot where it had soil already , I waited for 1 week and finally got a small baby plant and though I watered it died.

I was upset and asked for an expert in agriculture and he gave me some tips and tricks to grow coriander at home without any much effort.

How I successfully grew coriander

(step by step)


All you need is :

  • Good quality coriander seeds 10gms



  • A container about 30cm height ,with holes in the bottom
  • A well drained soil/or compost

  1.  Buy or get some good quality coriander seeds.
  2. Get a deep pot at least 30cm height ,which  has holes to drain water.
  3. Split the coriander seeds by rubbing or crushing.

  4. Soak the spout seeds in water over night.
  5. The next day fill the pot with a good quality soil, don't use sand. Or compost will be fine .
  6. Take off some of the soil from the top of the pot and place the seeds.
  7. Cover it with the soil you took out .
  8. Water the plant every morning and evening.
  9. Keep it in a place where the plant can get good sunlight .
  10. Make sure you spray water not pouring because those seedlings may get damaged.

It will take up to 8 weeks for you to harvest.




Patient is the only way to get the good cultivation. you don't need to add any fertilizers here . But make sure the soil you use will be a good quality one and sunlight is a must vitamin, coriander needs .

Hope you will leave a comment if you got some ideas.







Comments

Rushda Dilshad said…
I failed many times in growing cilantro. It's rocket science for me. I ll try

Popular Posts